The Norfolk Broads .net Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Have you got your free NBN Window Stickers yet? Find out more HERE

Our Sponsors

The Broads - then & now

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#41 pks1702

pks1702

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:06 PM

Fascinating photo's Barry :clap
If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most.

#42 Labrador

Labrador

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationWroxham

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

Interesting to see they had a yacht in 1945 barry, I suppose they were the only boats avaiable just after the war. I should think the engines in the motor cruisers would need extensive work to get them running again.
JR
Woof! Woof! GGRRR! Bring on the cats

#43 springsong

springsong

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationStalham

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

Labrador you are of course rght on the money, I often wondered about all the yachts on the Ferry moorings in these photos, of course no petrol although it would appear that later in the year they found some because they had Vesta out I imagine in August.

Speedwell from memory came from Banhams in Horning, and I believe there are at least two still sailing. A stag week seems to be the order of the day, I guess yachts were too basic for the femails of my family far to delicate. ;)

I may as well add these two to fill the page so to speak. Albion entering Horning from the Wroxham direction some time in the late sixties I think, and finally for Horning I think a very changed view looking toward the large house standing on the bank with the little round summerhouse, I always thought was Horning Hall but evidently it is not.

Attached Thumbnails

• Horning Ferry 1945 Speedwell 001_(1024_x_768)_(800_x_600).jpg
  • Horning Ferry 1945 Speedwell_(1024_x_768)_(800_x_600).jpg
  • Horning Ferry 1945 Speedwell 002_(1024_x_768)_(800_x_600).jpg
  • NBN 005_(800_x_600).jpg
  • 1947 018_(800_x_600).jpg

Barry
" A well balanced person has a drink in each hand " Billy Connolly.

#44 springsong

springsong

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationStalham

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:32 PM

I am tired of Horning so if someone would like to suggest somewhere in the north rivers preferably i will se what I can come up with cheers
Barry

#45 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

Hi Barry

wonderful pics just goes to show there a dramatic from then to now

I am tired of Horning so if someone would like to suggest somewhere in the north rivers preferably i will see what I can come up with cheers

how about Loddon :dance :dance

Jonny :wave :wave :wave
  • loribear likes this

#46 springsong

springsong

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationStalham

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:12 AM

Sorry Jonny don.t have a single photo of Loddon, mainly north rivers. cheers
Barry

#47 Happy Jax 3

Happy Jax 3

• Moderators
  • 835 posts
  • LocationOulton Broad, Lowestoft

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:51 AM

I am tired of Horning so if someone would like to suggest somewhere in the north rivers preferably i will se what I can come up with cheers

A fascinating history of the Broads developing on this thread. Thanks Barry for sharing your past with us all. :clap Would you have any photo's of the boat yards at Wayford?
Time spent on the Norfolk Broads is not deducted from one's lifespan

Col

#48 springsong

springsong

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationStalham

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:01 PM

Hi Col

Wayford Bridge boatyards, I only have two and they are realy an absence of boatyards rather than the other way about. My Uncle used to have Wayford Marine which later became Bowers Craft and then Windboats I think. This yard I think will be fairly familiar to you, although not from either of these photos.

The first one is of Woodpecker being launched in the mid-late fifties I would guess. To the extreme right of the picture one can just see the beginings of a quay headed dyke and at the end of the ways a slipway, now I am guessing but at the opposite end of the ways must be some kind of winding station, to enable them to haul out as well as launch therefor, I think that behind the camera is the boatshed which I think still stands today in more or less its origional form.

The second photo is looking down stream from said boatyard towards and past where the huge Wayford Marine Services now stands, the change down this side of the river is quite dramatic, whereas the other side seems to me to be rather shall we say less intrusive.

The other two are period pictures of Hunsett Mill taked again probably mid fifties, and that concludes Wayford Bridge and as I said at the beginning less tells its own story. cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• peter sketch slides 013_(800_x_600).jpg
  • 51_(800_x_600).jpg
  • 37_(800_x_600).jpg
  • Woodpecker launch_(800_x_600).jpg

Barry

#49 Happy Jax 3

Happy Jax 3

• Moderators
  • 835 posts
  • LocationOulton Broad, Lowestoft

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for that Barry.

Trying to get my bearings, are you saying that Woodpecker is being launched in front of the boatsheds, what is now, The Vintage Boat Yard, owned by Alice Brown. If so the quay heading to the right is where Happy Jax II is currently moored.

In the second photo, The gentleman with the lawn mower, is he standing on what would now be the end of the public staithe at Wayford Bridge? Again, if so Happy Jax II would be on the opposite corner of the dyke.

It is amazing, with regard to Hunsett Mill, If we were posting this only one year ago, you would say that nothing has changed, what a difference a year makes.

cheers
Time spent on the Norfolk Broads is not deducted from one's lifespan

Col

#50 springsong

springsong

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationStalham

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:40 PM

Hi Col
Yes to where Happy Jax 11 is mored that is my take on it, I didn't like to say so on open forum but as you have I feel I can. I would say that the quay heading is exactly that dyke.
As for the mowing gentleman I would say he is standing on the down river edge of what is now The Vintage Boatyard. This is only part hazy memory part surmise. I cannot recall from those days any activity down river of the boatyard.

Please understand that I am not positive about any of these Wayford pictures. cheers
Barry

#51 AdnamsGirl

AdnamsGirl

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:17 PM

Hi Barry

You really do have some fabulous photos!

It is interesting that you spotted what appeared to be the bomb damage at Horning Ferry Inn in the photo from 1946. I'm not sure when it was actually re-built after the war, but suspect it may have been a few years ... sadly for it to burn down again in 1965! Interestingly, I read that the possible reason that Horning was bombed was due to the decoy lights which had been set up at various points around Norfolk to act as decoys to protect the airfileds and military runways ... i.e. they would effectively make a "dummy" runway usung lights to make the enemy think that they had got the right target.

The history of Broadland during WW2 is fascinating and, now that so many records have been released, it is something that I would like to investigate further for an article.... it's finding the time to do it!

With regard to the hire fleets after the war. I have had a look back through my notes - apparently Broadland was opened up to the public again in 1943 after the threat of a German invasion faded and Wally Hoseason actually began his hire agency in 1944. I don't have any notes on the 1946 brochures but Blakes 1947 were offering a choice of 400 yachts and motor cruisers for hire from 33 boatyards ... the pre war number had been 600. Of course petrol was still rationed at this time and cruising was limited to 120 miles per week.

I reply to Jonny's question about the changes at the Swan Inn at Horning. It would seem to have undergone several sets of changes during it's lifetime. It was built in 1897 during the Victorian holiday boom and I have pictures of it from 1903/04 on the website which shows that it originally had a brick facade .... the mock tudor black and white facade had appeared by the 1930s, although I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact date that happened. The major facelift that you can see in barry's photo from the early 1980s took place in 1979/80 when it recieved a £70k refurbishment. This also coincided with the arrival of Souther Comfort which had previously been operating from Wroxham. Link to a 1979 newspaper article about the changes at the Swan and Southern Comfort below:

http://www.broadland...oat_horning.JPG

Carol
http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk
An Archive Of The Golden Era Of Boating On The Norfolk & Suffolk Broads

#52 Labrador

Labrador

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationWroxham

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

H.T. 'Percy' Percival , whos boatyard in Horning was building MTB's during the war, always maintained that the plane was attempting to hit searchlight battery on the village recreational ground
JR
Woof! Woof! GGRRR! Bring on the cats

#53 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

Yet more interesting stuff! The article on the Southern Comfort interested me most actually - firstly because I had no idea it had been around for so long and secondly because it never ceases to amaze me some of the things people complain about!

#54 AdnamsGirl

AdnamsGirl

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hi

This is a "The & Now" that I would love to get .... only I don't think I am likely to be able to unless I arrive at Wroxham at 6am on a sunny Sunday morning!! It was a commercial image which was used for postcards etc and I think dates from the 1930s. It illustrates one of the other difficuklties in re-creating old phtographs .... what were once much quieter streets, roads and lanes, are now extremely busy and dangerous! We had the same problem at Oulton trying to recreate a shot of Bridge street looking down towards OB North station. The road there in my 40s/50s photo was a quiet suburban street with no cars to be seen .... these days it's like the M25!! And the original picture had been taken from the middle of the road .... I did try to persuade Kev to get out there but he seemed reluctant for some reason!

I think the Wroxham picture below will cause similar problems but if you think you can have a go Simon (I am NEVER likely to be up early enough to do so), then please do .... although I will be after using the results on BM too! :)

Carol

Attached Thumbnails

• wroxham_roys_30s.jpg

#55 AdnamsGirl

AdnamsGirl

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

P.S. .... yes, I know it's actually looking across the bridge to Hoveton!

Carol

#56 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:53 AM

Carol when I eventually get around to doing this you are welcome to use any of the images on BM (provided they are any good of course!).

I admit I think it might not be until the Spring that I actually get around to doing it purely because of lighting, weather and other commitments in the time period leading up to Christmas and shortly after. That said, anyone at all reading this thread who fancies having a go is obviously free to do so.

If you want to stop the traffic in Wroxham just put on a high vis vest - people always do what they're told by folks wearing high vis vests. I would not, of course, condone such action.

#57 AdnamsGirl

AdnamsGirl

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

Hi

Whilst searching for something else today, I came across some more details about the Ferry Inn at Horning. Apparently, it was 13 years before they rebuilt the pub after the bomb damage!!

Carol

#58 C.Ricko

C.Ricko

• Official NBN Business Sponsor
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:40 PM

Hi all, This picture was taken in 1949 in Oulton Broad for the Lowestoft Journal, the small boy (Bobbby Rudd) now in his 70s visited us last year while over fron Australia. The launches were Dads, not sure about the dingey, W63 was called 'Vivo'
Left to right were..
George Pigney, Robert(Bob) Richardson, Arthur Skitterall, Regie Bullen, Jimmy ?..?, Bobby Rudd, Bert Gooch, Arthur Wigg, Arthur Moor.

Sorry about the copy it is off a piece of paper with 3 folds in it!
cheers..

Attached Thumbnails

• LowestoftYachtStation[1].jpg

Clive

#59 springsong

springsong

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationStalham

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

Lovely period photo Clive, you just don't seem to see those weathered expressive faces anymore, or maybe i don't look.

I think I shall move on to Ranworth in the then and nows, everyone appears to love the place, I wonder if because from the staithe you have this wide open vista, which I don't think you get anywhere else from a mooring, at least not of this length. Please correct me if you can think of anywhere else.
These three pictures are almost the same taken over a twelve year period from the first in 1959 second the mid fifties and the third in 1947. You will notice the complete lack of moorings to the left of the pictures, I guess these started to appear in the seventies when private craft were starting to increase. Int he fifties and sixties it was quite rare to see a private boat, and generally quite exiting. What we now know as the Island did not exist as a mooring, I don't know when it was developed but I don't seem to recall it in the seventies or early eighties, but someone will put me straight I am sure.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1947 019_(800_x_600).jpg
  • 31_(800_x_600).jpg
  • Aug 1959 Ranworth_(800_x_600).jpg

Barry

#60 springsong

springsong

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationStalham

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

The aerial shot maybe a little difficult for you to replicate Simon, unless you are lucky enough like me to have had an eighty year old flying father. This was taken in 1987/88 the last boat on what was then Peter Mills' moorings was Springsong after which my forum name. We at this time had The Ship just up the road in South Walsham. I have some aerial photos of South Walsham mainly of The Ship, I must look them out and post them up if anyone is interested.Thinking about this my friend still flies a 1940s' piper cub, it saw service in the war as a spotter plane the whole cabin side clips up onto the high wing and the passenger sits in the front a la Tiger Moth, the fuel gauge is a wire on a cork floating in the tank in front of the screen. This plane is beloved of photographers because of its very slow speed flat out at about eighty, so with a good headwind it just about hovvers I remember some odd looks from hire boats we used to hovver over. Sorry went off course a little there. Anyway he did offer to take me up again, that would be something to aim for, if Douglas Bader did why not me.

These three pictures were all taken from more or less the same spot in 1959 / 1962 and 1976 little appears to have changed apart from the moorings starting to appear in the 1976 photo.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ranworth 1976_(800_x_600).jpg
  • August 1962 002_(800_x_600).jpg
  • Ranworth August 1959_(800_x_600).jpg
  • Ranworth staithe mid 1980s_(800_x_600).jpg

Barry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users